Showing posts with label Carry Trade. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Carry Trade. Show all posts

Tuesday, 9 September 2014

USDJPY to 110 and eventually 200: a few cases for staying Long or Buying on a Dip, or Adding to a Long Position

This is my Daily Chart for USD/JPY, and though I did not post this idea originally when I started establishing my long position months ago, there is new information pertaining to the possible future, and some new technical developments to merit a look back and a look forward.

USD/JPY Daily Chart taken September 09, 2014 at 23:20 EST
When I started establishing this position, I had recognized both the trend from 2012 (I bought much lower that year and cashed in because I did not recognize the opportunity (below 0.80 -which I am still kicking myself for). This currency pair has gone up since then, and was playing between 101 and 103 when I decided not only to start buying, but to hold (a bit unusual for me). In hindsight that previous area of range 100.70ish to about 103.10 now serves as a deep base for the move higher.

I began buying at around the 102 level, and on dips towards 101.50ish, and then even a few tiny additions in the 102/103 level. Now, I should have bought more on the break of 103.10 which was a plan, but instead I trimmed my position to take a minor profit. Nevertheless, I am currently long from 101.85 (Average contract price).

What has gotten interesting as of late is that downward sloping red line from left to right labled (16 year bearish (-ve) trendline...). This is trendline has been indicating that in fact USDJPY was headed downwards over a period of 16 years FXstreet article indicating major resistance started from 16 years ago with tops in place from 150 down to 124,  which by extrapolation put resistance to this trend at about 105.50ish. Price is now not only above 105.50 (closed on daily at 106) On Friday September 06, 2014 and the weekly candle had only a small wick, which technically establishes a daily and weekly break of this 16 year trendline. A monthly close above 105.50 would probably confirm price continuing higher.

For me personally, I am now cautious to add to this position because it is now at highs not seen since October of 2008, and because I have other trades in play as well (margin is precious).

Nevertheless, I have come across some interesting posts today that speculate that price will continue into the 110.00 / 112.00 area before year's end, for example Citi's Case for establishing long USDJPY

This article illustrates Kyle Bass' case for USD/JPY to reach 200 (Yes, pretty much doubling from here) in the next 3-5 years if you have the intestinal fortitude.

A few minutes ago, I came across a article adding to Japan's economic woes on Zero Hedge, as Japan began Monetizing Debt at Negative Rates which could begin the slow process of crashing the Yen.

Another piece of the puzzle is the potential United States Federal Reserve (ironic name considering it is a private bank, but never mind that) to schedule rate hikes in 2015, which would only add fuel to this position as it would become a proper carry trade in full.

After reading all of this and watching the exciting price action over the last couple of weeks, I myself have to take time to pause and reflect on the possibilities here, but I have begun to consider adding to my position on breaks higher should price continue to elevate. Another case, is to try to buy anything approaching that 16 year trendline should price go towards it.

Naturally, none of this information comes with anything close to a guarantee.



Thursday, 31 October 2013

Possibly Looking to Pick up An AUDJPY Contract if My Price is Met

Looking at AUDJPY ~ I would love to have bought in the high 80s the last time it was in that vicinity - oh wait, I did, but I did not hold. My living circumstances at the time contributed to a poor trading environment, but that is another post altogether.

Looking at this hourly chart for AUDJPY, I am looking at the area below current prices as a possible buying point. If I were more aggressive, I would buy now and say the hell with it, but that latest hourly candle is looking like a hammer, which means down further possibly. The 92.60-90 area could be a great buying opportunity as a potential demand zone, if it holds and moves back up into the next supply area at 0.9350ish. I have a pending order at this point in that area and I am watching closely the data coming up in the next few hours.

USDCHF and NZDCHF Updates ~ Both Longs in Money Currently

Not too much time to write here, I am long on both of these currency pairs, from more than a week ago on USDCHF - which has been under water till this morning, and my NZDCHF which dipped yesterday uncomfortably below 0.74 but moved back up since the FOMC meeting. I am holding both for higher prices, but I have to accept the possibility that the market does not agree with me. In the next few hours I am looking for USDCHF (on the left) to violate the downward trendline from the September 2013 highs. and for NZDCHF to clear the 0.75 handle. My most immediate concern right now is the October NFP report which comes out on Friday November 8th where USDCHF (wherever it is) may take a monstrous hit because the NFP is not looking good from where I am standing.

Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Moving Done, Unpacking Started, Trading Slowly at First ~ NZDCHF Looking good as a small carry to join my USDCHF

Moving done, unpacking started, and the trades are starting. I am kicking myself a bit for jumping the gun on my EUR/USD short today ~ taking a measly 15 pips before the real move started, same with EUR/JPY, but that one did not travel as far down. Still, a few pips added to the account is better than a kick in the butt...as I have learned to tell myself when this sort of thing happens. Another way of putting this into perspective is that my life just changed drastically and my trading was only off-line for about 3 days ~ a bad three days to be out being month end an all, but C'est la vie!

I have not traded this pair at all, and NZDUSD is still a bit expensive for my liking, I would love to buy that in the high 70s and hold it, so I will do this instead as it has come down quite a clip in the last quarter and looks to be basing around the 0.74 handle.

I am only playing on contract, and as such it gives me almost nothing to play with in terms of multiple scenarios. I would love it to bounce back above 75, but I think that may provide some near-term resistance. RBNZ rhetoric should also provide some talking against this position, but I think a trip to 0.7470-90 could happen relatively quickly, say a couple of days. I will be watching for that level and would probably get out on a significant retrace if it goes up and turns back down below 75; in the meantime, it is a relatively stable carry trade. First hurdle would be 0.7030-45 on this one.