Saturday 8 September 2012

Review and Strategy Going forward into Autum 2012

After what I would consider a slow start to the year, with only a couple of trades (literally only one in February), and then a meager spring (only a few), my summer took off and never looked back. I have managed to reach the point where my trading activities are netting almost the equivalent to my day job salary. I work almost 50 hours a week, by the way. I'm not bragging, well, I have put in nearly 5000 hours into this over the last few years, and, it seems, while I was not a slow learner, I was slow to control myself.

This morning, I took my monthly statement from my broker, along with a notebook and sat down in a coffee shop and wrote a bit. My August was decent to say the least, $1670 in profit from a less than $5,000 trading account. 5k was a bit of a barrier for me as I had been there before and crashed afterwards. Now, I'm sitting nicely at $5,800 and looking to $10,000 in the coming months. So far, September has been decent to me with $670 earned this week. I have no illusions about not needing a day job at the moment, but I think the next book I purchase will be the The 4-Hour Work Week.

In the last couple of weeks, something interesting happened, I learned to pace myself, I learned to not sit at my desk all the time and stare at the charts for trades that I had under way. I learned to trust myself, step away and allow my trades to work out. I have in fact spent less time trading and my profits have improved.

Aside from everything else I am doing this weekend, I am going to put some time into studying chart patterns, and planning a couple of automated trades for the next week. I have only limited experience with this, so I will only be using light orders for this while I get my feet wet. In theory, a few minutes of analysis a day could earn profit without me having to manage the trades while they are in process. Now, time to study a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment